Norphlet Elementary students were recently introduced to “The Water Princess”, a picture book based on the childhood of Georgie Badiel, who had to walk several miles each day to collect water for drinking, bathing, and cooking.
She now lives in New York and runs the Georgie Badiel Foundation which is dedicated to raising funds to support the cause for bringing clean water to her people in West Africa.
Our students joined her in support by collecting coins for clean water. NES students raised over $400 for the Foundation.
Some of our students were able to Skype with Georgie Badiel and ask questions about her life as a child in Africa and her life now in New York. Students also discussed ways we can conserve water.
- History and mission of Arkansas Minority Health Commission (AMHC)
- How we meet our goals and objectives through agency programs and community outreach
- Opportunities for faith based, non-profit or state organizations to plan health initiatives in their communities
- Review Arkansas Minority Health Commission Sponsorship Policy
- Review events that do not qualify
- Review the application process in detail
- Resources that can be obtained from Arkansas Minority Health Commission
- Provide dates for upcoming sponsorship opportunities
A meeting will be held in the Smackover High School Library on Thursday, February 28, beginning at 6 pm to discuss the concurrent credit college program offered to upcoming Juniors.
All questions concerning a child’s involvement and the financial obligation will be covered.
Also, a video presentation will be posted on The Buckaroo Blog starting Friday, March 1, for additional explanation.
If you are interested in attending this informative meeting, please RSVP by February 22 to email@example.com or call (870) 725-1226. Please leave a message if I do not answer during regular school hours. You can also respond to either with questions.
Smackover Elementary School students “HUNTED” for a good book during book fair earlier this month and it was a SUCCESS. Thank you to the staff, parents, grandparents, community, and students.