The Arkansas Arts Center Children’s Theatre on Tour will perform The Engine That Thought It Could at Hobgood Auditorium on Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 9:30 am. Children’s Theatre on Tour is part of the State Services program at the Arkansas Arts Center, the state’s premiere center for visual and performing arts with a renowned collection of international art.
The Children’s Theatre on Tour invites Smackover Preschool children and parents along on this classic tale of determination. Join in as Millie, the Little Engine, learns that hard work pays off even when faced with adversity. The play is written by Alan Keith Smith and based on the 1906 story by Reverend Charles S. Wing.
“The Children’s Theatre on Tour brings the magic of the theatre to thousands of children and families across the state,” said Arkansas Arts Center executive director Todd Herman. “Every year, their performances wow the audiences and create extraordinary theatre experiences that educate, challenge and inspire young people and their communities.”
Children’s Theatre on Tour will be traveling to tour locations around the state from April 1 to May 9 performing The Engine That Thought It Could. Although this production closes out the 2013-2014 season, a new line-up of plays will begin touring later this year.
Kindergarten Registration will also be held on Thursday, April 17.
Drop by the elementary school before or after the play to register your child for Kindergarten!
Looking for a way to keep healthy and include more produce in your diet? Click on the link below to access the March edition of School Times!
School Times March 2014
April is a very busy month for Smackover students! Please mark your calendars for these dates:
- April 3 (Thursday) – Preschool class and individual pictures
- April 4 (Friday) – Smackover Band Color Guard Tryouts
- April 11 (Friday) – “S” Factor Talent Show
- April 17 (Thursday) – The Engine That Thought It Could (Smackover Preschool)
- April 17 (Thursday) – Kindergarten Registration
- April 18 (Friday) – Good Friday Holiday (NO SCHOOL)
- April 24 (Thursday) – Progress reports sent home
April 25 (Friday) – SES Natural High Day Rescheduled for May 9
- April 26 (Saturday) – SHS Prom
- April 29 (Tuesday) – 3rd – 6th grade Family Fitness Night
- April 11 (Friday) – 2nd Grade field to the museum
- April 16 (Wednesday) – Kindergarten to the zoo
- April 17 (Thursday) – 3rd Grade to the museum
- April 24 (Thursday) – K-2 to the farm fair
- April 1-4 – 1st – 2nd Grade ITBS
- April 7-10 – 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 8th Benchmark Exams
- April 7-11 – 5th and 7th grade Benchmark Exams
- April 22-23 – Geometry EOC
- April 29-30 Biology EOC
Nominations for the Gifted and Talented Program are being accepted in the Smackover School District.
Nominations are accepted for students in first through eleventh grades.
The deadline for nominations is April 11, 2014. All nominations must be submitted to the GT Coordinator by that date.
Parents desiring additional information or nomination forms should contact the GT Coordinator at the Smackover Elementary School Campus.
GT Nomination Form
For the sixth consecutive year, the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR) will be hosting the 2014 Exxon Mobil Bernard Harris Summer Science Camp from July 6 – 18, 2014. This camp is available at 19 other universities nationwide and is the only camp site in Arkansas.
UALR will select 48 rising 6th through 8th graders with at least a “B” average in math and science. There will also be an equal distribution of boys and girls and across all grade levels. The program supports historically underserved and underrepresented students with limited opportunities. This includes students from rural areas and or school districts where opportunities are limited. ALL interested students should apply!
- The program is free and residential with a nurse on staff and certified instructors and counselors. All personnel are required to pass background checks.
- If you have students who would benefit from this once in a lifetime immersion in STEM, please fill out an application, which is located here: http://www.theharrisfoundation.org/
- Applications are due May 3 and parents will receive notification by May 27.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Vernard Henley via e-mail or by phone, 501-569-8203
Tryouts for the Junior Buckaroo Cheerleaders were held this week. Each student trying out for the squad was assigned a number.
The following will be the 2014-2015 Junior Buckaroo Cheerleaders:
All new junior high cheerleaders are to pick up a fund raising packet from the high school office on Monday, March 31st.
Camp deposits of $50 are due by April 15.
Congratulations to those student who made the cheer squad!