Several Smackover High School students have been selected for publication in the 15th annual volume of Writers’ Ink, a literary magazine published by South Arkansas Community College and edited by the SouthArk English faculty.
During the 2011-12 academic year, high school students were invited through their English teachers to submit original poems, essays, and/or short stories as entries in a creative writing contest with the best submissions to be published in Writers’ Ink.
Smackover students who were published in Writers’ Ink include:
- Amanda RaeAnn Lowery – honorable mention for junior division poetry
- Tucker Henderson – first prize for junior division short fiction
- Grace Nash – honorable mention for junior division short fiction
- Disheanna Brown – honorable mention for junior division short fiction
- Antonisha Barker – honorable mention for junior division short fiction
- Joseph Clark – honorable mention for junior division short fiction
All of these students are taught by English teacher, Mrs. Aprile Richardson.
The prizes in this year’s contest will be awarded and the magazines distributed at a ceremony at 2 pm on April 22 at the El Dorado Conference Center. The awards ceremony will be followed by a reception in honor of the student authors and their English teachers.