Dear Buckaroo Community,
I hope that your time with family and friends is well underway and that you are enjoying this summer! The Smackover-Norphlet School District has been working to develop a thorough plan that will help guide our parents, students, and staff through the 2020-2021 school year. Although, there is much anticipation and discussion about our coming year, I want to encourage you to read through our plan, ask questions, visit with your children and know that we are looking at all scenarios and trying to provide reasonable options for our community. In the coming weeks, more information will be posted to our social media outlets. Below are important dates and information that will be shared.
Start Date of School
Governor Asa Hutchinson announced today that the first day of school would be August 24.
Based on this decision, we will be meeting with our district Ready for Learning Team to review plans and calendar adjustments for the 2020-21 school year.
Information is provided below that gives a broad overview of the two options SNSD will be offering for the 20-21 school year: On Campus Instruction option and Virtual Instruction option (Virtual Seat in the Classroom – VSC.)
Click here for SNSD_Instructional_Options.
Click here for VSC_Agreement.
More information will be presented after the District Leadership Team presents the 2020-21 Ready for Learning plan to the school board for review on July 20.
- July 24: The 2020-21 tentative plan will be posted to social media outlets titled 2020-2021 Buck Stop Landing Page (This page will give both a brief and detailed overview of our plans for 20-21, a Frequently Asked Questions section, and informative articles.) Please be advised that plans/timelines could be adjusted as guidance changes frequenty during these times.
- TBD: SNSD will hold a Town Hall Meeting at 6:00 pm in the Smackover Auditorium to provide an overview of the 2020-2021 Buck Stop Landing Page and answer questions from those attending. This event will be livestreamed as well because of limited seating and social distancing requirements. Attendees will be provided seating at the Smackover auditorium on a first come, first served basis.
- TBD: Those parents/guardians selecting the virtual option will need to have submitted their agreement to their child’s school. (More info on the process will be provided on 7/21.)
- TBD: SNSD will hold an adjusted Open House from 3:00-7:00pm at each of our campuses. (More info will be in the plan and also posted to the social media outlets.)
- August 24: First Day of School!!
As we continue to monitor guidance from state and federal agencies, we are continually updating our plans to adjust to their recommendations. Please continue to be flexible as we are making adjustments as necessary.
On behalf of SNSD, we look forward to seeing our students back on campus or virtually this fall and tackling this challenge together as a district/ community team! We as a district appreciate your flexibility and patience during this time and look forward to a great year!
Enjoy the rest of your summer and Go Bucks!!
In observance of the July 4th holiday, there will be no athletic practices on Monday, July 6.
Workouts will resume on Tuesday, July 7.
- Senior football will be from 9 am to 11 am.
- Junior football will be from 11 am to noon.
Graduation will be Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8 pm.
To live stream the graduation ceremony, click here.
Attention Graduates: You must wear a mask to rehearsal at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, July 3rd and for graduation that evening.
Graduation Reminder: Smackover High School Graduation will be held at the Buckaroo Football Stadium on Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8:00 p.m. The gates will open at 7:15 p.m. for all family and friends to attend.
The following Arkansas Department of Health requirements must be observed:
- Seating must be arranged to maintain a 6 foot distance between members of the audience. Attendees must sit on the area of bleachers marked with blue strips of tape to maintain social distancing.
- Household groups may sit together, but 6 feet should be maintained between groups.
- Every-other-row seating should be unoccupied to provide for 6 feet of physical distance.
- Face coverings are required for all persons present, except for children under 10 years of age, who are exempt. Once seated and maintaining 6 feet physical distance from others, the face covering can be removed. If you move around, face covering must be put back in place.
- Graduates will enter and exit the stadium as a class and will be dismissed to their vehicles once outside the gate.
- There can be no congregating on the field or in the parking lot after the ceremony. Everyone will be asked to leave the campus promptly after the graduation in order to adhere to the guidelines of the Arkansas Department of Health Directives.
The graduation will also be livestreamed for those unable to attend the ceremony.
We are excited for the opportunity to celebrate this special occasion with our seniors and their families while ensuring the health and safety of all in attendance.
Attention Senior Class of 2020 – We have been asked to share the following information with you regarding some non-school sponsored graduation events.
The Class Of 2020 and our families cordially invite you to attend a drop-in pre-commencement reception.
The celebration is to be hosted at the Family Life Center of First Baptist Church in Smackover.
Please join us anytime from 2-4pm.
Update from the Library
The Smackover Library will be closed on Friday. Senior gifts will be able to be picked up at the parent-sponsored reception at the First Baptist Church Family Life Center.
Smackover Norphlet School District’s online registration is open today, July 1, 2020 for all students K-12. All students, new or returning, will need their birth certificate, social security card, shot record, and proof of residency (must be a utility or a mortgage bill that validates that you reside at the residence you list on the registration document. Please view instructions below for the following:
All students –
- Go to www.smackover.net
- Click on menu
- Click online registration.
- Click on your students school registration packet, free/reduced information, home language survey.
- Sign the forms that request your signature. Save these documents.
- Click on the web address as a New/Kindergarten enrolling student OR a returning student (returning students should have received a letter in the mail with a snap code that will be used to register).
- Proceed with the registration.
Returning students will not have to upload copies of social security card or birth certificate.
Thank you for your patience as we begin a new process for enrolling students. We look forward to a great school year!
If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school for additional help.
Junior high girls basketball will start workouts on July 6th from 9 am -10 am.
Practices will be Monday-Thursday in the Smackover gym. Please enter through the backdoor.
Players will need to arrive at least 30 minutes early for check-in.
Thursday’s special called school board meeting has been moved to the high school library. The meeting will be closed to the public, but it will be live-streamed.
Below is the schedule for Senior and Junior High football for the month of July.
Senior High times are from 9am – 11 am.
Junior High is 11 am – noon for the first week then changing to 11 am – 12:30 pm thereafter.
7th grade does not start until July 27th; however, if a 7th grader would like to come in early they can.
All times are subject to change due to AAA requirements and regulations.
All students must have physicals before participating.
All middle school students that will be 11 years old by Sept 1, 2020 need to receive the required TDAP vaccine once they have their 11th birthday.
All 7 graders need to receive the required meningococcal vaccine.
Both of these are state required immunizations. All students need to be compliant with their immunizations prior to the start of school in August.