The Smackover School District Board of Directors met in regular session on Monday, December 16, 2013. The following are highlights from the meeting:
- Recognized Mrs. Shelly Childers as the Employee of the Month. Mrs. Childers is dedicated to ensuring that all of her students learn math and provides tutoring to students before school, after school, and at lunch to support them.
- Recognized the Principal’s Leadership Award recipients: Lindsay Burson, Troy Dino, Emily Porter, Haley Clayton, and Mallory Pyron.
- Recognized Mrs. Clarice Long as the VFW Teacher of the Year.
- Recognized the Senior Cheer Team for winning the 3A division from the Arkadelphia Cheer Competition.
- Recognized the Senior Football Team for making it to the semi-finals of the state championship.
- Presented a letter from State Senator Johnny Key recognizing Smackover Elementary School for its designation as an exemplary school.
- Listened to a report from Mr. Mike Cobb regarding the recent audit of the Smackover School District. Cobb reported that the district had met all of the requirement for the year ending June 20, 2013 and had received a clean audit.
- Adopted a resolution regarding the Six Year Master Facilities Plan.
- Approved a $500 bonus for all district employees.
The Smackover School Board meets in regular session on the third Monday of every month*** at 5:30 pm in the board room of the Central Office. The public is invited to attend.
***Due to holiday in January and February, the board has rescheduled meetings for those months. The January meeting will be held on January 27th and the February meeting will be held on February 24th.
At the recently held Arkadelphia Classic Cheer Competition, the senior Buckaroo cheerleaders won the 3A division competition. In addition, they won the overall high point award by outscoring 13 other schools from the 2A division through the 6A division.
The competition cheer team is made up of the following 14 girls from 9th through 12th grades and is coached by Mrs. Clarice Long.
- Lindsay Burson
- Emily Porter
- Murphy Aycock
- Kayla Green
- Tiffani Anders
- Kiera Longing
- Lacy Goss
- Meagan McGowen
- Spencer Stanton
- Haley Mullins
- Madison Neal
- Courtney Davis
- Elizabeth Harrison
- MaKenzie Malone
Congratulations to these girls!
The Principal’s Leadership Award is an application process presented to the top 10% of the senior class based on six semesters. Students are chosen based on leadership, activity membership, and community service.
The award recipients and their categories for 2013-2014 are as follows:
- Lindsay Burson – Activity Leadership
- Troy Dino – Academic Leadership
- Emily Porter – Community Leadership
- Haley Clayton – Community Leadership
- Mallory Pyron – Student Leadership
The students were presented certificates at the December school board meeting by Mr. Joe Bates, Smackover School Board President, and Mrs. Jan Henderson, high school principal.
On behalf of the Smackover School District, we wish you a merry Christmas!
May you enjoy the blessings of friendship and family throughout the Christmas season!
We look forward to seeing your children return to school on Monday, January 6.
Second and third grade students from Smackover Elementary School presented the school’s annual Christmas program on Thursday morning.
A special thanks to the students and teachers who worked so hard on this production!
Enter your email address in the section entitled Follow Blog via Email to receive notification of new posts to the blog.
We will be posting athletic schedules, weather cancellations, and other important information on the blog in an effort to keep parents and the community informed about the events occurring in the Smackover School District.
The Smackover School District’s Spelling Bee was held on Tuesday, December 17th.
Congratulations to the following students:
- Winner – Nichole Davis (6th grade)
- Runner-up – Robert Dixon (7th grade)
Both students will represent Smackover Schools at the Union County Spelling Bee.
The Kindergarten teachers took their students to many of the local businesses to sing Christmas carols on Tuesday. They stopped by the central office as well to sing Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Up on the Housetop.
Check out all of their fun!
Smackover Preschool has two slots available for three and four year old children. Please contact Debra Tolin at 725-3651 for more information.
Why should you send your child to Smackover Preschool? Check out the happy children and teachers at Smackover Preschool.
There will be a shooting sports meeting Thursday, January 9th, at 6:00 pm in the cafeteria to finalize the paperwork for the upcoming season.
Any student in 6th through 12th grade that wants to participate should attend with a parent.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Christi Crutchfield at 725-3601 or email@example.com.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) highly supports the education of America’s youth. The VFW identifies and recognizes America’s best educators who instill a sense of national pride in students, teach citizen education topics, and promote America’s history and traditions effectively including Flag etiquette and patriotism.
Clarice Long, elementary dean of students and math interventionist, was recognized by the local VFW as the Teacher of the Year. Mrs. Long was presented a certificate, $100, an American flag, and an Arkansas flag for the school at a ceremony held last week at the Union County Court House.
Congratulations to Mrs. Long for her outstanding service to the Smackover School District!