Dr. Seuss Week is March 4 -8. In honor of the occasion, Smackover Elementary School students are encouraged to participate in the following dress-up days:
- Monday: Hat Day: Bartholomew and his 500 Hats
- Tuesday: Green Day: Green Eggs and Ham and Obleek
- Wednesday: Crazy Socks: Fox in Socks and The Foot Book
- Thursday: Red/Black Day: Cat in the Hat
- Friday: Dr. Seuss Character Dress Up Day
February is dental hygiene month.
In celebration, our new local dentist, Dr. Taylor Everett, DDS provided free dental screenings for 1st , 2nd, and 3rd grade students on February 25, 2013 in the Smackover Elementary Cafeteria.
The screening was a non-invasive, painless procedure to evaluate each child’s dental health. Each child’s evaluation will be sent home to their parent/guardian.
It’s baseball season for Smackover High School!
Click on the link below for the Smackover High School Baseball Schedule.
2013 Smackover Buckaroo Baseball Schedule
The Smackover School District Board of Directors met in regular session on Tuesday, February 19, 2013. Highlights from the meeting include:
- Appointed Heather Preston to fill the Zone 6 position vacated by Tommy Norrell on January 21, 2013, until the next school election held in September, 2013.
- Expelled a student for one calendar year.
- Extended the administrator contracts for the 2013-2014 school year.
- Accepted the resignations of three employees effective at the end of the school year.
- Approved a request for physics students to attend an overnight contest in New Orleans.
- Announced the reassignment of three classified personnel.
Three Smackover students competed in the Dorcheat Sub-area Leadership Events. These students received the following awards:
- Mallory Pyron – First place, Discussion Meet
- Brooke Roden – Third Place, Extemporaneous Public SPeaking
- Grace Nash – Third Place, Prepared Public Speaking
Because of her excellent performance, Mallory will compete in the Southern District Leadership Contest in March at Southern Arkansas University.
Congratulations to these students!
Students from Union County school recently competed for cash prizes and trophies in the inaugural Elliot Deichler Union County math Contest.
Congratulations to the following Smackover High School students for their excellent performance:
- Algebra I -Brycelynn Bailey (third place)
- Statistics – Emily Porter (first place)
- Statistics – Keith Birchfield (second place)
Other Smackover High School students participating in the contest included Ashley Haynes, Toby Hudson, Hunter Lee, Khalil Lowery, Cammie Martin, Dalton Owens, Cat Sampson, Hayley Sampson, Kris Simms, Cooper Thurmon, Hunter Thomas, Tessa Watson, and Kashauna Williams.
Smackover High School will hold parent teachers conferences on Thursday, February 21, 2013 from 1:30 – 7 pm.
- Smackover Elementary School and Smackover High School students will be dismissed at 1 pm on that day.
- Smackover Preschool will remain open for its regular hours.
Also, on parent teacher conference night, the Smackover High School library will be offering outdated books for sale for 25 cents. There are lots of good books offered for sale. Come by the library media center to purchase books. The books will continue to be for sale until they are gone.
The Smackover School Board met in a called session on February 12, 2013. Highlights of the meeting included:
- A presentation from the firm of McPherson and Jacobson of Omaha, Nebraska, with a proposal regarding a search for a superintendent of schools and outlining the terms and cost of the services provided.
- Approved a motion to hire McPherson & Jacobson to conduct the search for superintendent.
Smackover Elementary School students recently had the opportunity to participate in a contest by designing a kindness poster.
The following students were selected as winners:
- Tori Bates
- Anna Morgan
- Jacob Eubanks
- Emily Patsey
Congratulations to these students!
The Smackover Elementary School Book Fair will be held the week of February 11-15.
Family Night at the book fair will be Thursday, February 14, from 1 pm to 7 pm.
SES Book Fair