Norphlet Elementary School recently created book buddies where upper grade students read books to lower grade students.
As Norphlet Middle School students works on reading strategies, our 8th grade study hall students engaged other middle school students in partner/peer-assisted reading.
An Accelerated Reader (AR) book was read and then a test was taken on the book with assistance from the 8th grader.
Pairs worked together on a variety of texts, building their reading confidence, increasing concentration, practicing interacting socially in a positive way, and improving their motivation to read.
Preschool director Marta Jinks and parent Alejandra Vega read a story to Ms. Donna’s class in both English and Spanish.
Tuesday night, Norphlet Middle School hosted the 4th Annual Family STEM Night for K-12 students. Over 827 people attended the event!
Thank you to Lt. Governor Tim Griffin for speaking at the grand finale about the importance of STEM education and the availability of STEM jobs in South Arkansas.
We could not put on this event without the help of community, industry, and post-secondary education partners. Thank you to these volunteers who made this evening possible:
- Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources
- Canfor Southern Pine
- El Dorado Chemical
- El Dorado Refinery (Delek)
- Lockheed Martin
- Martin Transportation/Cross Oil
- Medical Center of South Arkansas
- Murphy USA
- SAU Tech – Aviation Maintenance Program
- Southern Arkansas University – Computer Science Program
- South ARK Community College – Process Technology Program
- South ARK Community College – Information Technology Program
- Smackover High School – Engineering Program
- Coca Cola
- Crotty Casing Crews
- Norphlet Middle School – Student Council
- Sysco Foods
- Smackover Police Department
Be sure to join us next year for the 5th Annual Family STEM Night on Tuesday, November 5, 2019.
Check out all of the pictures from the evening:
Norphlet Elementary School recently invited grandparents to come on campus with their grandchildren. A big thanks goes to all of the grandparents who came out!
Norphlet Middle School hosted a pumpkin/book character creation contest at Halloween. The winners of the contest were:
- Abby Fogle-Rainbow Fish – Most Creative
- Janelle Drummond – The Lorax
- Madison Ham – Charlotte’s Webb
- Evan Keaster – The Wizard of Oz/Tin Man – 2nd Place
- Lee Gilkey – The Wizard of Oz/Lion – 1st Place
- Savannah Green – Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- Jada Ferguson and Saylor Cropper – The Wizard of Oz/Tin Man – 3rd Place
- McKinley Wages – Nightmare Before Christmas
- Natalie Collins – The Zombie Fish
- Taylor McDowell – Curious George – Honorable Mention