By Special to the News-Times
This article was published June 25, 2018 at 5:00 a.m.
Parkers Chapel and Smackover-Norphlet high school students have the opportunity to earn graduate certifications in three areas of computer technology thanks to South Arkansas Community College’s Futures in Information Technology (FIT) program.
Students will be able to take courses like Mobile Apps for Android, Windows Operating System, Windows Server, Principles of Information Assurance, IT Essentials, Visual Basic and Networking Fundamentals.
The certificates of proficiency available for students to earn are in networking, computer support and computer science. Students who attain multiple certifications will be able to install software, run virus scans, upgrade a computer’s hardware, create a local network and program software using at least one programming language, according to a news release from SouthArk.
The program is for high school juniors and seniors, though sophomores will be able to participate with special permission from their principal or the district superintendent. Students must possess a grade-point average of at least 2.0 and have scored at least a 19 on the Reading portion of the ACT. SouthArk offers a placement exam for students who have not taken the ACT year-round.
Students should work with their counselors when drawing up their schedules for the 2018-2019 school year to enroll in the program. They will need to complete a college admission packet that can be obtained from their counselors. There may be required course fees depending on local school district policies.
For more information, contact the FIT grant career coach Cathy Harrell at email@example.com or 870-864-8479.
There will be an informational meeting on Tuesday, July 10, at 6 pm in the high school library regarding opportunities for students and parents of students who are interested in taking these courses.
Click on the link below to access the school supply list for Smackover Elementary School for the 2018-2019 school year.
2018-2019 SES School Supply List
Mrs. Jan Henderson, Smackover High School Principal, has announced the 2018 spring honor roll (all A’s) and merit list (all A/B’s).
- Honor Roll – Brayden Belt, Alison Billings, Kathryn Butler, Precious Dorman, Cauy Easley, Kaitlyn Goodwin, Aubrey Hargett, John Knight, Sara Livingston, Jacob Muckelrath, Megan Osborn, George Williams
- Merit List – Stormy Anders, Colt Aycock, Joseph Barron, Courtny Bridges, Priscila Espinosa, Alexis Gilbert, Haleigh Gottberg, Kenneth Henry, Beatriz Mendoza, Alex Parker, Austin Pottorff, Cade Schibler, Ken Sims, Gabriella Slater, Price Woollen.
- Honor Roll – Kelsey Allen, Alex Burris, Robert Dixon, Jasmine Ervin, Blakely Lewis, Megan Mullin, Jei Parlor, Jordan Price, Lillian Reyes, Mary-Claire Wilcox, Kayleigh Yeager
- Merit List – Kaitlyn Arrington, Laig’le Bates, Laynie Clark, Abigail Crawford, Haley Davis, Brook Dees, Jaylan Dickerson, Miranda Easley, Sabrina Estridge, Jasmin Fejeran, Hannah Freeman, Max Gathright, Taylor Harris, Catherine Hodges, Dakota Hutchinson, Camree Jones, Kalin Key, David Martin, Samuel Massey, Ty McCurry, Jillian McKnight, William Mitchell, Colby Pearson, Gracie Ragan, Clarissa Sperka, Hannah Squyres, Chloe Stafford, Anastasia Tharrett, Heather Treese, Synard Williams, Isaac Woollen.
- Honor Roll – Nichole Davis, Braden Doherty, Olivia Edney, Rett Gatewood, Caleb Huckabee, Vanessa Lofton, William Newton, Trevor Pyron, Micah Smith, Chloe Stevens
- Merit List – Harley Ainsworth, Trenton Bailey, Joel Brewer, Kennedy Briggs, Dennis Caldwell, Karli Goocher, Michael Harris, Lainey Holland, Lexie Lawrence, Katlyn Lios, Haley Ruddell, Jillian Russell, Alex Savage, Christian Todd, Tyler Wade, Ethan Warren.
- Honor Roll – Kaylee Armstrong, Wesley Calloway, Carigan Crotty, Rylee Darden, Jacob Eubanks, Alec Gatewood, Paige Goodwin, Drew Haynes, Melanie McNeely, Preston Oliver, Tiyas Rester, Bailey Rivers, Anniston Ross, Courtney Smith, Victoria Smith, Caleb Watson
- Merit List – Abby Beavers, Alison Beavers, Gracyn Belin, Alex Carrillo, Erin Crecelius, Trey Darden, David Davis, Cade Davis, Kenadee Eisler, Ellen Galvan, Austin Goodwin, Clayton Henderson, Madison Ingle, Laci Jackson, Kendall Key, Javion Lee, Stormy Lewis, McKenzie Loschieder, Breylon Love, Johnny Mitchell, Kenzie Mixon, Gracie Muckelrath, Ja’miya Murphy, Ja’niya Murphy, Hannah Parker, Brooke Patton, Elizabeth Rodriguez, Ronnie Tucker, Noah Wallingsford, Karli Willett.
The El Dorado Driver License Testing Center will be closed Monday 06/25/18.
School Supply List
Smackover High School
Algebra II, Bridge to Algebra II, PreCalculus, Statistics
- Loose leaf notebook paper
- Calculator (can be rented from the school
- Graph paper
- Loose leaf notebook paper
- Calculator (Small scientific calculator – TI30x is a good one less than $10)
- Graph paper
- Two composition notebooks
- Folder with brads
- Loose leaf paper
- Pencils or pens
- 1 subject notebook
- 1 package of 3/5 lined notecards
- Notebook or binder (can share with another class)
- Pencils or pens
Mrs. Richardson’s Classes
- 3-ring binder with loose leaf paper (any size will work)
- 3 dividers for sectioning off notebook
- Pencil or pens (pens must be blue or black ink)
Attention Parents of Students at Smackover High School:
There will be a very important meeting on Tuesday, July 10, at 6 pm in the high school library regarding opportunities for students to take information technology (computer) courses from SouthARK. These electives will lead students to a Certificate of Proficiency in Computer Networking or Computer Support Specialist.
These courses will be offered on the Smackover High School campus during the school day at no cost to the students! These would be great electives for students who are not enrolled in other concurrent credit courses or the secondary technical center.
These courses are open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors, who meet admission requirements on the Accuplace exam. Thanks to a grant awarded to SouthARK, the Accuplacer exam will be free for students interested in taking these classes.
Come learn about this exciting opportunity on Tuesday, July 10!
Click on the link below for the 2018-2019 School Supply List for Norphlet Elementary School.