Smackover High School Graduation will be held at the Buckaroo Football Stadium on Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8:00 p.m. The gates will open at 7:15 p.m. for all family and friends to attend.
The following Arkansas Department of Health requirements must be observed:
- Seating must be arranged to maintain a 6 foot distance between members of the audience. Attendees must sit on the area of bleachers marked with blue strips of tape to maintain social distancing.
- Household groups may sit together, but 6 feet should be maintained between groups.
- Every-other-row seating should be unoccupied to provide for 6 feet of physical distance.
- Face coverings are required for all persons present, except for children under 10 years of age, who are exempt. Once seated and maintaining 6 feet physical distance from others, the face covering can be removed. If you move around, face covering must be put back in place.
- Graduates will enter and exit the stadium as a class and will be dismissed to their vehicles once outside the gate.
- There will be no congregating on the field or in the parking lot after the ceremony. Everyone will be asked to leave the campus promptly after the graduation in order to adhere to the guidelines of the Arkansas Department of Health Directives.
The graduation will also be live streamed for those unable to attend the ceremony.
We are excited for the opportunity to celebrate this special occasion with our seniors and their families while ensuring the health and safety of all in attendance.
The Arkansas Department of Health has issued an updated directive regarding large indoor venues to ensure that COVID-19 remains controlled and that people remain safe.
This directive covers venues for a gathering of people such as a prom. Several requirements must be observed such as but not limited to 1) maintaining a distance of 6 feet between people, 2) seating must be arranged to maintain 6 foot distance, and 3) face covering required for all persons present.
Due to the difficulty to produce a large event such as a prom at the El Dorado Conference Center with guidelines as written, the Smackover High School Prom scheduled for July 15, 2020 has been cancelled.
While this is not what we envisioned or planned for prom, we will continue to move forward and wish you a safe summer.
Dear Buckaroo Community,
I hope that your summer fun and time with family and friends is well underway! The Smackover-Norphlet School District is excited to announce the return to on site instruction this fall! First and foremost, I want you to know that our educators and staff members are working hard this summer to ensure when our students arrive back on campus this August, it is safe, practical, and user friendly for all! SNSD staff will return August 6th for professional development, and our first day of school for students will be August 13th! As we continue to monitor recommendations and guidance from the health agencies, state, and federal governments, we have begun the planning process. We currently have three teams working hard to develop plans for 2020-2021:
- Logistics Team– A team dedicated to developing a plan for all staff and student interaction upon return to campuses (faculty and student PPE needs and expectations, transportation, registration, open house, food services, cleaning schedules, etc.)
- Curriculum & Instruction Team– A team dedicated to developing a plan for blended learning (student learning in the traditional school/ campus building setting and virtual instruction from home), professional development for district staff, and technology applications and needs
- State Documentation Team– A team dedicated to ensuring we are applying, documenting, and fulfilling all state and federal requirements during this time
These teams have been meeting weekly and developing plans that will be utilized starting this school year. As we continue to monitor guidance from state and federal agencies, we are continually updating our plans to adjust to their recommendations. Although these circumstances have required more planning for our district and community, it has also provided our district an opportunity to grow stronger. We are very excited to announce our school board approved the purchase of additional electronic devices to give us 1:1 capability, if needed. These devices will not only help in the event of a campus shut down, but will also serve our students in our daily learning processes. These adjustments have also given us an opportunity to evaluate our virtual instruction models and make adjustments that will better serve our students and staff.
As I close, we are very proud of how our community and school district responded to the unprecedented situation last year. These times have shown that our school district and community will do whatever it takes to ensure our students receive a great education and that their needs are met. Our goal is to provide more definitive information on processes and plans for the 2020-2021 school year by mid/late July. We will be creating a return to school 2020-2021 page on our website as well as updating The Buckaroo Blog, Twitter, and Facebook accounts as more information is solidified. On behalf of SNSD, we look forward to seeing our students back on campus this fall and tackling this challenge together as a district/ community team! We as a district appreciate your flexibility and patience during this time and look forward to a great year!
Have a great summer and Go Bucks!!
To: Seniors or Parents of Seniors
From: Mrs. Melba Bussell (Smackover Library)
Please come by the Smackover Library on July 3 to pick up a small gift before or after the reception sponsored by the parents at the First Baptist Church Family Life Center.
The Meals-to-You program is excited to announce that the service has been extended through August 15, 2020 for families who are currently enrolled.
Meals-to-You will continue shipping to families on the existing bi-weekly schedule until August 15.
The last day boxes will leave the warehouse is August 15, 2020. This means that boxes could continue to arrive in communities after that date.
As a reminder, if families need assistance (address change, damaged box, etc.), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and include the information that the support team will need to accurately locate them in our database (school, state, student name, and birth date).
Attention SHS Juniors and Seniors:
If you plan to take concurrent credit classes through SouthArk next year, an important virtual meeting will take place on Wednesday, June 24th at 1:00 pm to discuss enrollment requirements and mandatory paperwork that must be completed before July 15th.
Please check your email and accept the invitation. If you are unable to attend or have any questions, contact SHS counselor, Amber Miller.
Any student in grades 7-12 interested in joining cross country, please click on the survey below.
Smackover Elementary Kindergarten Registration
What: Kindergarten Registration for Smackover Elementary will NOT be in person for summer 2020.
When: Beginning July 1, 2020 (We encourage you to enroll as soon as possible once registration begins.)
Where: Kindergarten Registration will be fully accessible to enroll online beginning July 1, 2020. (If you need assistance or a device to enroll your student, you may contact the school at 725-3601.)
How: You will go to www.smackover.net and go to online registration. Then click on New Student/Kindergarten registration. It will inform you as to how and what to do to enroll your student who is 5 years old on or before August 1, 2020.
The Smackover High School Buckaroo Golf Team practice will begin July 20 at 9:30 am at the Pine Hills Country Club Driving Range.
You MUST have a current physical to practice.
Bring your own clubs and sunscreen!