Below is information which will help to answer some of the most frequently asked questions with regards to school closing. This information is current as of March 20, 2020.
Communication with Families and Community Members
It is our goal to provide up dated information to parents and community members. You may find the most current information regarding Smackover-Norphlet School District through the district’s website, The Buckaroo Blog, and our brand new Twitter account.
Our new Twitter handle is @Smackover_Bucks .
Automated phone calls and text messages will also be sent out as needed.
Dates of School Closing
Due to Governor Asa Hutchinson’s announcement, all public schools in Arkansas will remain closed through April 17, 2020. The Governor declared that while the school buildings are closed during this time, instruction would continue for all students.
The SNSD administrative team has been working this week to develop solid plans to keep instruction occurring during this time.
March 23 – 27 will be spring break for all students. No assignments or instruction will be provided to students during spring break.
AMI Work for the Week of March 30 – April 3
Students were sent home AMI folders in the fall. Students should have already completed work from Days 1, 2, and part of day 3 during the week of March 16 – 20.
Please use the following schedule for the week of March 30 – April 3.
- March 30 – Students will complete the second half of their Day 3 AMI work.
- March 31 & April 1 – Students will complete Day 4 of their AMI work.
- April 2 & April 3 – Students will complete Day 5 of their AMI work.
If your child’s AMI folder has been misplaced, you may access the same documents online using the following links:
- SPS – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11-Za-kjgadEvag5C7XogvRk6ELeBHVhu
- SES – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mAvlS7JwdVZWurYUEHgMomLbyVKOaFar
- NMS – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1f0q5M7EShcPugk1xy8WYNafzdyF7xBN_
- SHS – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lB__7qkewSa2fJS12TbnmgZ-mr4Li_Ac
AMI Work for the Week of April 6 – 10
The SNSD will be shifting to online delivery of instruction! We are still in the process of finalizing plans. Accommodations will be made for students who do not have Internet access or electronic devices.
More information will be coming out to parents and students on April 2.
As a reminder: Friday, April 10 is Good Friday. This is a holiday on the school calendar. No assignments or instruction will be provided to students on Good Friday.
Comcast is offering qualifying students and parents eligibility for 60 days of free internet through Comcast Internet Essentials during the pandemic.
Also, AT&T is offering the following in response to the public health crisis through their Access from AT&T program
- Offering two months of free service to new Access customers who order by April 30, 2020. $5/mo or $10/mo thereafter, depending on your speed.
- Expanding eligibility based on income and to households participating in National School Lunch Program/Head Start.
- Waiving all home internet data overage fees.
If you are in need of support from Comcast or AT&T, we encourage you to contact them sooner rather than later so that your child will be prepared with Internet access on April 6.
Please contact Comcast directly to determine eligibility.
School Meal Service
The School Meal Service is FREE for any student 18 and under. Children must be present to receive a meal. All meals are to be taken off campus. Cafeterias will not be open for anyone to sit and eat.
Bagged meals will include a lunch for the day and a breakfast for the following morning. Meals will be provided through a drive-up option for families to help prevent the spread of illness.
School Meal Service will resume on Monday, March 30.
- Time – 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
- Smackover Location – Between cafeteria and pavilion
- Norphlet Location – Norphlet City Park
Reminder of General Precautions
Governor Asa Hutchinson has closed schools to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Please remember to take the following precautions to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Practice social distancing while students are out of school.
- Wash hands frequently.
- Do not touch your face.
- Cover your cough/sneeze and throw the tissue away immediately.
- Wash hands following a cough/sneeze.
- Avoid large crowds.
This is an unprecedented time in our community, our nation, and our world. We appreciate the support of our parents, students, and community members greatly at this time.
We are so thankful to parents and students who are now having to take on a unique responsibility and shared role when it comes to their education through the virtual setting. Please know that SNSD will be there to provide assistance despite this situation.
We are confident that when this pandemic is over our students and our community will be stronger than ever. While the coronavirus is a very real threat, it does not have the power to take away our Buckaroo spirit and pride!
We, as the Smackover-Norphlet School District, will remain true to our values of supporting students and families through this pandemic.