Bryan Freeling, Bridge Engineer from the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department, came Friday, November 11, to make a presentation to the Smackover Elementary School 5th graders. He talked about bridge construction and maintenance on bridges. They also built a bridge structure and tested the bridge’s strength.
The 2nd Annual Family STEM Night for kindergarten through 8th grades at Norphlet Middle School which was held on Tuesday, November 15, 2016, was a huge success. Over 500 people participated in all of the STEM activities planned by our community and industry partners!
Thank you to the following organizations providing STEM activities:
- Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources
- Cross Oil (Martin Operating Partnership)
- Lockheed Martin
- Murphy USA
- NMS STEM Faculty
- SAU Magnolia Society of Physics Students
- SAU STEM Center
- SHS AP Computer Science Principles Students
- SHS Engineering Students
- SHS Science Club
- SHS Sports Medicine Students
- SouthARK Community College: Fundamentals of Information Technology Grant Staff
- SouthARK Community College: Industrial Process Technology Program Staff
Thank you to Sysco Food for providing the food and Coca Cola for supplying the drinks which were served by the NMS Student Council using Mayor Jim Crotty’s grill.
Thank you to the following for providing the fabulous door prizes:
- Chemtura – 2 Gift Bags
- Cross Oil (Martin Operating Partnership) – Sky Viper Drone
- Lockheed Martin – iPad mini 4, 3 HP Chromebooks, Samsung Galaxy Tablet A, 3 sets of Star Wars LEGOs
- Mike Corley – Insulated Ice Chest
- SHS Engineering Students – PLTW Polo Shirt
- SouthARK Community College – Four Hoodies, Two T-Shirts, Three Backpacks with T-Shirts
Plans are already in the works for next year’s 3rd Annual Family STEM Night in 2017!
Check out the fun from this year!
Pee Wee Basketball Information for 3rd – 6th Grade Boys and Girls
We are joining this year with the Parkers Chapel School District to form a Pee Wee Basketball League. This will be a great opportunity for our schools and students to participate in the game of basketball while competing with each other along with students from neighboring districts.
Details are still being ironed out in terms of scheduling and a few other areas. The tentative plan is to begin games in January and possibly have a couple of skills camps in December before the season begins. We are very excited to grow on the successful start we had last season with our own Pee Wee League. We believe this will help resolve some of the first year issues we had last year and make the program even better.
The fee will be $40 per student.
Volunteers will be needed for coaching and other responsibilities. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Coach Preston (email@example.com) or Coach Rowton (firstname.lastname@example.org). The registration form and payment will be due December 2nd. Please bring forms and payment to your child’s school office.
We hope every student interested in playing basketball at Smackover Elementary, Norphlet Elementary, and Norphlet Middle School signs up to have a part in our league. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Preston or Coach Rowton.
Norphlet Middle School has announced students qualifying for the honor roll for the first nine weeks. Congratulations to these students!
- 6th grade: Adrianna Dixon
- 7th grade: Emily Bailey, Anna Crutchfield
- 8th grade: Alec Gatewood, Andrew Haynes, Caleb Watson
Honor Roll (A’s and B’s):
- 6th grade: Emille Jones, Sydney Preston, Meg Rogers, Mason Scott
- 7th grade: Kaeci Bishop, Kenley Brumley, Landree Clark, Laylah Gatson, Madison Johnson, Zachary Kiddy, Reese McKinnon, Evan Pietranski, Mackenzie Preston, Rhett Richardson, Skyllar Tanner, Jewel Tollin, Britani Williams
- 8th grade: Abb Beavers, Alex Carrillo, Carigan Crotty, Rylee Darden, David Davis, Kenadee Eisler, Jacob Eubanks, Sam Gathright, Sara Gathright, Paige Goodwin, Madison Ingle, Kendall Key, Stormi Lewis, Mathieu Malin, Melanie McNeely, Gracie Muckelrath, Preston Oliver, Hannah Parker, Tiyas Rester, Elizabeth Rodriguez, Anniston Ross, Courtney Smith, Sean Thornton, Ronnie Tucker, Karli Willet
Last Friday, the Smackover Elementary Student Council and 5th graders presented their annual Veteran’s Day Program to honor the men and women who have served in the armed forces to protect our country and our freedom.
Below is one video and a picture gallery of the program. To view the video, please click on the first picture.
The Smackover-Norphlet School District will dismiss early on Friday, November 18, at 12:30 pm so that Buckaroo fans will be able to attend the State 3A Football Playoff Game in Charleston on Friday evening.
As a reminder…
The Smackover-Norphlet School District will be closed the entire week of November 21-25 for the Thanksgiving holidays.
Congratulations to the following Smackover Elementary School students for making the honor roll for the first nine weeks!
- First Grade: Jewel Arnold, Slade Arnold, McKinley Eisler, Taylor Gray, Aubrey Hendricks, Trevor Jackson, Emily Langley, Emerson Neal, Brennan Poindexter, Drake Rester, Marley Smith, August Tolin, Kate Ward, Romahd Boone, Keldan Capuria, Kaylee Green, Baylee Ham, LeAnna Taylor, Skylyn Abeyta, Ruby Adkins, Carson Bates, William Burris, Lillian Fogle, Addison Hill, Michael Simpson, Joseph Stevens, and John Sullivan
- Second Grade: Riley Belin, Karsen Benson, Lynlee Boykin, Ja’Kaden Ford, La’Trinity Grant, Cooper Hill, Joshua Jackson, James Knight, Jackson Lewis, Leah Manning, David Mendenhall, Abbie Owens, Jillyann Selmon,Collin Stegall, Ramsey Wilson, Alexia Eason, Jackson Lee, Drake McGaugh, Hadley Porter, Jenica Saulsbury, and Irish Wingard
- Third Grade: Blaine Harris, Linly Mills, Brady Pearson, Ella Rogers, Tara Walthall, Eli Willett, Judson Wolfe, Camille Green, Melanie Rodriguez, Justyce Eakes, Caden Long, and Brianna Washington
- Fourth Grade: Adrianna Phillips, Ethan Tarver, Tatum Watson, Abigail Fogle, Dameon Galbraith, and Joleigh Saulsbury
- Fifth Grade: Kortney Akis, Janetta Mills, Jacob Corley, Baylee Endel, and Colin Miller
All A’s and B’s
- First Grade: Avery Allen, Dylan Holloway, Thomas Perry, Stewart Bates, Landon Drummond, Lane Flacon, Chloe Goocher, Colten Jones, Robert Jones, Shanira Mathis, Kyndal McDonald, Esmeralda Mendoza, Daunte Green, Trason Parlor, Lukas Pullig, Jet Tolin, and Parker Wreyford
- Second Grade: Kamariah Ford, Dustin Hensley, Meagan Litton, Adriel McMenis, Jessica Burton, Elijah Cobb, Fischer Greer, Chayden Porchia, Ava Walker, and Will Walker
- Third Grade: Max Bailey, Emmie Belt, Heather Drummond, Lillian King, Montana Monreal, Charter Rain, Stefan Slaughter, Mason Snider, Mason Barnes, Kristopher Burch, Sophie Childers, Samuel Deal, Bailey Dearman, Emma Dees, Nathan Greer, Caydee Holloway, Amber Palmer, Danni Adkins, A’olani Baugus, Sarah Cook, Jake Matthews, Cash Moffett, Alyssa Thomas, and Robert Tyree
- Fourth Grade: Grace Bolling, Emily Camacho, Raegan Dearman, Colin Maroney, Saylar Cropper, Dailen Davidson, Isabella Davis, Kamari McAdoo, Mason McDaniel, Samual Schafer, Pyper Swift, Austin Belt, Sophie Belt, Janelle Drummond, Allison Estridge, Jada Ferguson, Madison Ham, Kaden howell, Abigail Knight, and Benjamin Paulus
- Fifth Grade: Cailsen Crotty, Emma Gottberg, Brennan Holland, Joshua Malin, Cole McNeely, Kendall Mixon, Avery Neal, Cheyann Plunkett, Nicholas Schafer, Presley Ainsworth, Caden Boykin, Eli Dearman, Kamryn Fulton, Jillian Hempstead, Lakyn Myers, Evan Phillips, Dominic Samaniego, Nicholas Saulsbury, Anna Adkins, Airabe Bautista, Trace Davis, Holly Drummond, Kylah Hall, Emma Kelly, Tanner Mitchell, Karson Mixon, Wyatt Parker, Jackson Goocher, and Jeb Gatewood
Norphlet Middle School will be hosting its Second Annual Family STEM Night for K – 8th grades on Tuesday, November 15, from 6 – 8 pm.
If you want to learn more about the activities which will be available that night, please click on the link below.
It’s going to be a great evening!