The Smackover School District Board of Directors met in regular session on Monday, January 27, 2014. Highlights from the meeting include:
- Recognized Bailey Snider and Emily Buggs as the January students of the month.
- Updated the board about a potential annexation with the Norphlet School District. A survey had been sent out to all employees with 78 for and 4 against for a total of 82 forms currently turned in.
- Approved Paula Robertson as the surrogate parent for the Smackover School District.
- Updated policy 4.45, repealed policy 4.45.1, and approved an addendum to the elementary handbook.
- Extended the contract of Superintendent Dave Wilcox by one year, making it a three year contract.
- Accepted the resignation of one employee.
Jana Reynolds, Technology Administrator, provided an update to the board on the District’s Comprehensive Integrated Technology Plan. As of January, 2014, the following had occurred:
- Ordered 175 Chromebooks for 3rd through 6th grade students.
- Scheduled a certified Google trainer to provide professional development for elementary and high school teachers this summer.
- Ordered 20 iPad minis for K-2 classrooms.
- Scheduled iPad training for K-2 teachers and special education teachers for the upcoming summer.
- Planning for Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) implementation at the high school.
- Ordered laptops for core teachers at the high school with plans to order laptops for remaining high school teachers this summer.
The Smackover School District Board of Directors meets in regular session on the third Monday of every month* in the Board Room of the Central Office at 5:30 pm. The public is invited to attend.
*Due to President’s Day, the February board meeting has been rescheduled for Monday, February 24, 2014.